Since the early 1990s, Wes Jones has explored the paths of “machine-architecture,” through research into the articulation of the body and its technological universe, and a vernacular expression of industrial objects. To escape from the tyranny of form and the “signature,” he explores architecture’s technological essence through a formal register inspired by the construction site – temporary by definition – thereby imbuing his architecture with the principle of mobility and refuting the very idea of a foundation. The container has becomes his basic architectural and structural unit, whose multiple assemblages and combinations offer housing, cinemas or stores. Between ready-made and collage, these containers form the basis of low-cost, nomadic, and flexible architecture, without location or signature. Today, the architect continues to develop these container houses in his laboratory, PRO/Con (Program/Container). Attentive to the latest technological developments, Jones refuses to oppose the digital and the mechanical, and explores a “more sophisticated relation”: the mechanical as a “substance” is enriched by an electronic “conscience,” which opens a critical space in relation to the modernist legacy.
Following his studies at Berkeley and at the Harvard Graduate School of Design, Wes Jones (1958) was awarded the American Academy of Rome’s prize in 1985. Jones was an associate in the firm of Holt Hinshaw between 1987 and 1993. He founded the firm Jones, Partners: Architecture in 1993. Jones was inducted into the American Academy of Arts and Letters in 2008. His projects have been shown in many exhibitions (ArchiLab, 2000; Home Delivery, MoMA, New York, 2008; Milan Triennale, 2008; Venice Biennale, 2008…). Two monographic reference works have been dedicated to his firm (Instrumental Form: (Boss Architecture) Words, Buildings, Machines, 1998; El Segundo, 2007).